Thursday, October 04, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad



My father would have been 77 years old today. It seems kind of strange writing that I've really never have thought about my dad in the past tense. It really has never seemed like he has left me. It been about two and a half years since he's passed away but the many lessons he taught me still are with me today. I can still hear him giving me advice like the time just before when I went to purchase my and Chrissie's home several years ago "Do not go with any crazy loans, stay with a fix 30 year mortgage". My dad was no financial guru but he was my dad so I took his advice.

Thanks Dad!

I could probably tell you a million stories about my dad but I will share just one quick one. Hopefully I did not share this in a previous blog so here it goes. During my dad's retirement he spent hundreds of hours volunteering at the Army Veteran's Hospital in Paramus NJ. At his wake I saw an older man sitting by himself in the back row , head down crying. I felt compelled to go over to him and tell how much I appreciated him being here for my family. He went on to say "You don't know me but your dad sat by my side for a month while I was in the Veterans hospital while I was recovering from a very serious operation"


During the coarse of the wake and funeral that was a continuing theme "You don't know me but..."

My point?
You don't have to be a millionaire, you don't have to have all the resources in the world, all you have to have is the desire and the willingness to help others who are in need. That's what my dad was all about and that's what Try Change is all about.

Happy Birthday Dad
Thanks for making a difference.

Vinny

No comments: