Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Thanksgiving?


I was recently in a large department store and to my amazement they had already started playing holiday music. Maybe I'm getting a little old but I could have sworn there was a time that we dressed up in costumes for Halloween and gave thanks on Thanksgiving before we jumped into the holiday season. It seems every year the stores start the shopping season earlier and earlier, before you know it we'll be shopping for gifts in August.

Don't get me wrong I look forward to the holiday season but I wonder if we miss something by rushing right into. Going out on Halloween was a BIG thing when I was a kid and Thanksgiving was a time for friends and family to gather and say thanks for all that we have not just a time to gather to watch the game. With all this rushing around, do we really take the time to reflex on what each holiday means to us? Do we really take the time to cherish the moments we get to spend with our friends and family? So whatever holidays you choose to celebrate, make sure you make the best out of them...

This season I plan on taking the time to enjoy each holiday and not get caught up in too much of the latest and greatest sale at the local department store. To all the stores out there - I love the music but maybe we can start playing it in December (or at least late November) :-)

Vince

No comments: