Sunday, September 09, 2007

Persistence



Friday I stopped by the 2Excess store to pick up some shirts to keep in my car just in case I every ran into someone that I could promote Try Change to. When I arrived at the store I asked the manager how the first set of designs were doing. Unfortunately they were not drawing a tremendous amount of interest from the buyers in the mall. He felt that I would do better if I contacted the local designer that caters to the younger market in Northern Virginia. He did commit to placing the new designs back in his store once they were completed. As I walked out of the mall with my shirts I kept telling myself "Do not let this get you down, there is a reason this is happening today and matter of fact there is a good reason this is happening to you today". Well it would so happen that this particular night Chrissie and I were invited to the one year anniversary of Good Magazine. Good Magazine is filled with positive stories , resources and examples of volunteer groups doing fantastic things throughout the world. In fact they are a source of inspiration for us here at Try Change.


Chrissie and I got to the event at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in DC at about 8:30pm and were pleasantly surprise to see hundreds of liked mind individuals and groups attending this event. I thought to myself "I should go put one of my Try Change shirts that I took from the mall on". So off I went to the car leaving Chrissie by herself to view the art work and listen to the music. Upon my return we decided to walk around some more when we came across a gentleman being interviewed by a reporter along with a photographer. I thought to myself this must be someone important and odd as it may seem I'm just going to wait here and tell him about Try Change. Once he finished the interview I walked over to him and asked him if he was affiliated with Good Magazine, low and behold he was actually Ben Goldhirsh, the owner/founder of Good Magazine!

I have to tell you Mr. Goldhirsh could not have been nicer . We told him how Good Magazine is part of our inspiration to develop Try Change. As one of the first subscribers we truly believe in his publication and judging by the hundreds in attendance so do many others. We stood there and chatted about Good Magazine, Try Change and he said it was great to hear how his magazine actually inspires subscribers like us to go out and make a difference. We told him how we sent out our Press Release to many newspapers and magazine and would be very interested in telling our story in Good Magazine. He gave us his email address and would like us to send him some information on Try Change.

Over the coarse of time I've learned not to dwell on things when they don't go my way. For us to meet the Founder of Good Magazine amongst hundreds of people spread out at the Hirshhorn Museum is incredible. But it would not have happened if the manager of the 2Excess store had not have given the first set of Try Change shirts back to me. It would certainly not have happened if I took the shirts and went home and sulked about it.

This is my Inspirational story for you today. If your developing a business, non profit or charity and somethings does not go your way keep moving forward. When one door closes one will open.



Vince



I just wanted to drop in and invite everyone to drop by our website. We did a re-vamp over the weekend and I would love to hear how you like it!
Thanks for stopping by!
Chrissie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vince,

I attended the GOOD anniversary event as well. However, due to another activity I had to leave about the time you arrived. I would have loved to meet you in person. I took a few photos with my cell phone while I was there. Click here to check them out.