Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Lost


I was using StumbleUpon tonight looking for inspirational stories and I found an interesting "project". It's called LOST and basically it seems like a game that is testing how we connect with one another. Here is an excerpt from their website:



About the game:


This game is a student project that aims to show how 7 million people connect
and become the game with the most number of players ever. It's about finding new
ways of communicating an idea and crossing the boundary between the internet and
the real world. You can join the game if you find an invitation. An invitation
is an internet address that looks like this: www.lost.eu/example - but instead
of the word 'example' there are some random numbers and letters.There are
invitations written everywhere - from beaches in Mexico to train stations in
Poland - on the internet and in reality.



Since each person has to get an invite in order to sign into the "game" you have to have had some sort of connection to that person, whether it was through a website you found or a written message that was left somewhere in the "real" world. I just thought it was interesting to have a visualization of how we are all so connected. Especially in the last decade with the growing use of the Internet for communication and networking. I am always a little amazed when I'm on a site and realize that I've been "talking" to someone who is literally on the other side of the world. I'm not sure what exactly the intent is for inspiration from the creator(s) of this project but for me it is symbolic; Even though often times we feel lost and alone we really are all connected in some way and thereby we are never truly alone.

Here is a link to the visualization I was talking about:



When you click on one of the dots, it expands to show you who is connected to that player, then you can click on other dots and see other connections.

I'll try to think of a creative way to spread my invites like the game asks but for now here it is if any one wants to participate: www.lost.eu/62ff1


Have a great night!
Chrissie

No comments: