Monday, August 13, 2007

Try Diversity



When I started Try Change little did I realize that someday (and it came quick) I would have to respond to someone's feelings that we (our local community) is pandering to the African American community. What? -let me explain. As someone who has chosen to get involved in issues that effect local businesses and residents of the area in which I live and work, from time to time my name may appear in the local newspaper. Some time ago there was an article written about me detailing my place of birth, interests and goals for the future. Today I was notified that someone had mailed the article to a local organization asking why is the paper once again recognizing black residents when there are other nationalities that make up the community. They went on to say that what is worse is that I'm not even from the area which I currently live and work in. They felt that surely there are many worthy non-black, life-long residents that can be written about. For the record the newspaper in question highlights individuals who have contributed to the community, it just so happens that two African Americans were highlighted over the last several months. Instead of reading the paper and taking pride in local citizens doing their part to make their neighborhood a better place this particular person decided to harp on the color of one's skin and where they originated from (New Jersey). Go figure.

So how does this make me feel?

Excited! Why? Because it just proves to me that I'm right on point with Try Change. The comments made by this individual just makes it clearer for me that we need to keep promoting hope, peace, faith, diversity and change. The saddest part of their comments was when they wrote "This is why I cant wait to get out of this area" I would just like to say it's not the area. Wherever you go there will be people of different backgrounds and nationalities; wherever you go there will be individuals that move into an area and want to contribute and most of all:

Wherever you go you take you with you!

Join us at Try Change as we try to make our world a better place.

Vince

4 comments:

Brody said...

Change is Good!
We must learn through awareness to Celebrate our differences... not ostracise them.
I support any actions you take to nurture and rebuild the great continent of Africa.
I support Humanitarianism.
Peace ;)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatly I see this as a case of jelousy. Although I did not see the article my guess is that the article focused on something that you were doing to promote the area or a project that you are involved with. The reason that you made the paper is that someone felt that others would be interested. When I read that the individual could not wait to leave the area - I thought first that it was a young adult and it was primarily a product of their upbringing. But as a parent of a recent HS grad - I realized that this area is one of the most diverse. So hence the jelousy comment. You are an incredible asset to the community keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Rock on Dude!!!
You know you got it going on!!
Keep on keepin' on!!

Vince said...

Brody~ Thank you for your support and encouragement!

Thank you everyone that took the time to respond to our blog! We really appreciate your support as well! The situation with the article has made us even more determined to push for diversity and promote our message of peace, hope, faith, diversity and change!

Vince & Chrissie